Friday, May 30, 2008

Baseball Question

As I sit in my living room on Friday night watching Reds phenom, Jay Bruce, single in the top of the first against Atlanta, I recall his Major League debut only 3 nights ago. I was in attendance at Great American Ball Park and watched him go 3-3 with 2 singles, 1 double, 2 BB, 2 R, 2 RBI, and 1 SB against the Pirates. But I don't want to discuss his incredible start or his vast potential. Nor do I want to discuss the conflicting feelings I get watching the team of my youth face off against the team that plays 2 miles from my current home (especially when they're both desperately fighting to get to .500, and no, I have no such conflict when it comes to the NFL).

What I would like to discuss is a unique string of events I witnessed in the Reds' half of the 6th inning: 3 times in a row when the Reds had bases loaded, the play resulted in no one making an out plus only 1 run scoring. Twice, it was the result of singles, and once, it was the result of a walk. Has this ever happened 3 times in 1 game, let alone in 1 inning, let alone in a row? I imagine if it has happened before, it was a result of all bases loaded walks. So has this ever happened three times in an inning, with at most 1 bases loaded walk and the rest from hits?

No comments: