Sunday, March 28, 2010

Racin’

Ran the Heart Mini this morning. Here’s me with coach Edwin afterwards:

IMG_0267

The race was a 15-K (9.3 miles), and my goal was to finish in under 80 minutes (about 8:36 min/mile). Well, I just missed, finishing with a time of 1:20:31 (about 8:40 min/mile). I probably could’ve hit my goal had I sprinted the last quarter mile. I swear I tried, but after 9 miles of running at that pace, sprinting just wasn’t happening for me.

Anyway, I’m still considering it a success. It was a stretch goal, as I’ve never run that fast for that long before. (Part of me thought I’d be lucky to hit a 9 min/mile pace). Coach Edwin considered it a success as well and here’s the high five to prove it:

IMG_0271

It was a pretty fun morning all-in-all. Mindy & Edwin dropped me off near the start. (Mindy taught Edwin a new word: downtown, which he pronounces with 4 syllables, dah-uh-tah-uhn.) They hung out at First Watch while I ran (Tamara joined them), which was nice because I met them there to get a much needed cup of coffee & sausage omelet within minutes of finishing the run.

Now it’s time for an evening of celebratory beers and looking for my next race. Thinking something in the Mahoning Valley. Matt, you ready?

2 comments:

rixster said...

I'll do a 5K with you.

StratMatt said...

Great job! I will continue to watch for something here (plenty of stuff with the Youngstown Road Runners Club), but I need to get in your running shape first. I can hit that pace on the elliptical, but that doesn't quite count.