Sunday, September 21, 2008

Farewell, Yankee Stadium

I am currently watching the last few innings of play at Yankee Stadium. Although I have never been a Yankee fan, I've always been envious of their winning ways, their substantial fan base, and of course, their beautiful stadium. (Well, Pirates, 1 out of 3 ain't ba--wait, who am I kidding? Yeah, Pirates, it's bad.)

I was fortunate to attend a game there back in 1993 while visiting my aunt Carol in Connecticut. We made plans to head into the city for one day, and she gave me the option of a Broadway show or a Yankee game. Being the 14-year old boy that I was at the time, I chose the ball game. And despite the spectacular views of the Pittsburgh skyline from PNC Park, to this day Yankee Stadium remains my favorite ball park.

Unfortunately, when I accompanied Mindy on her 1st visit to NYC last year, only the Mets were in town. At least she got to see a game at Shea Stadium before it gets torn down (hey, come to think of it, where's all the hoopla on ESPN regarding the final game at Shea?...I guess retrospectives on Mookie Wilson aren't exactly ratings bonanzas).

Hopefully, sometime in the future, we'll get to take Edwin to the new Yankee Stadium so winning baseball isn't something he only hears about on Sports Center.

Well, I hear Sinatra blaring over the stadium's PA system, so the Yankees won. Congratulations to them, and let's hope this October remains interesting without their involvement.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I personally found your comments rather insightful considering your alligeance to the Pirates. I hope you noticed that Joe Torre was never mentioed in the pre-game cermonies, which was very disappointing. Overall however, it was a great night. We plan on getting seats next year so if you guys are in town and want to catch a game, please let me know. Hanna

Dave said...

no Clemens mention either...