Sunday, September 18, 2011

Our Day at the Comic Expo

So about a month or so ago, I'm waiting for my drink in a downtown Starbucks. And I glance at the community bulletin board and see this:



There's a Cincinnati Comic Expo? This would be perfect event for a Daddy/Edwin day out. (I'm trying to spend one day per month doing something out of the house for just Edwin and me; I'll probably add a Lyla day in a year or so.)

Well, yesterday was the day. Edwin decided to get decked out in a Batman T-shirt and Batman sneakers:

























(Edwin actually woke up Friday morning an hour early raring to go. "Ready for the Comic Expo!" he smiled. He was crushed when Mindy and I told him he had a wait one more day until Saturday.)

There were some pretty strange characters down there. Edwin's favorites were Batman and Robin, of course. Other interesting sightings included a 7-foot Predator walking around posing for pictures and parents dressed as Hans Solo and Princess Leia pushing a Millennium Falcon stroller with their kid dressed as Luke Skywalker.

(This event conjured up similar feelings as my first time at the Renaissance Festival: thoughts like "wow, look at these nerds in their costumes". But then I remember that just because I grew up a sports fan rather than a comic/fantasy/sci-fi fan, doesn't make my interests any less nerd-like. Somehow though, being a sports fan--at least in the Midwest--is considered less nerdy. However, when we left the Convention Center and took the 4-block walk back to the car, we saw numerous baseball fans arriving downtown for the Reds game. I don't know why grown men dressed up as Joey Votto should be considered any less nerdy than if they were dressed up as Superman.)

Here's the first item Edwin picked, a Batman and Robin comic:
















This is the artist, Terry Huddleston, we bought some posters from (Edwin choose two, a Green Lantern and a Green Arrow):
















As we flipped through his portfolios, he went on a long dissertation about since they've brought everything else back from the '80s, like the Transformers, it was time they brought back M.A.S.K.

Afterwards still on a super hero high, Edwin enjoys some chicken fingers and french fries:
















Edwin at home with all of his loot (that's a Lego Buzz Lightyear above Edwin's left shoulder):



No comments: