Monday, April 27, 2009

5+ Hours at the ER



Today started like any other Monday. Edwin and I got up around 7:30am and ate breakfast, played for a while, and started the laundry. It was beautiful outside, so I took the 'Super Happy Fun Zone' outside and Edwin sat in the shade watching me do some yardwork. He started to get cranky, so I got him out and we were sitting on the porch watching cars go by, singing ABCs, and practicing our counting when...the entire day changed...

Edwin dove off of my lap, head first, onto the cement. It happened soooo fast. I didn't even have time to react. Before I knew it, I heard his head hit the cement. It sounded like an egg cracking. He immediately bursted into frantic tears and his head began to bruise and swell. I brought him inside and tried to put ice on it...and he had no interest in keeping the bag of frozen corn on his head...
I called Dave and explained how bad it looked. I called the doctor and the suggested I go to the hospital...I called our friend Keith (Dr. Ridel) and he suggested the same. I loaded Edwin into the car (after changing his diaper - you know what they say about having on clean underwear in the ER) and off we went...I was crying uncontrollably...I called and canceled my physical therapy appointment and my walking date with a girlfriend - I know, so responsible! I called my sister and she immediately got in her car and headed to the ER to meet me there. My girlfriend ended up meeting me there too...and Dave came too...

So, after 5+ hours at the ER, Edwin seems to be okay. It seems to be an external injury - it looks awful! The doctor warned me that it will probably get worse before it gets better...I can't believe that - at least I don't want to...I feel so bad about this...and I know - it will probably not be the last time we have to go to the ER - but I simply feel bad...

Edwin is one tough little man - THANK GOD!!! Really could've been so much worse!