Monday, July 13, 2009

REDHEADS AND DENTISTRY

I ran across this article in my JADA magazine today. I of course immediately thought of my red headed brother-in-law. However, tell me if I am wrong , Dave, but I think you don't fit into this study's conclusions.

Increased Dental Anxiety, Fear & Care Avoidance in Red Heads
Conclusion: The results support our hypothesis that red hair and mutations of the MC1-R gene are associated with dental anxiety, dental fear, fear of local anesthesia, and avoidance of dental treatment. Patients with MC1-R mutations may thus require special encouragement to obtain dental care, as well as additional local anesthesia for procedures.

I hesitate to post this article as the red hair gene is listed as a mutation... which is what Dave has always implied his condition to be. :) And yet , we are all jealous of his hair!

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Dave LOVES the dentist...and he is a mutant...wierd!

Dave said...

funny. I didn't get my latest issue of JADA yet. I'll have to wait until it comes & check the article out. p.s.: thanks, all, for calling me a mutant!