Monday, July 28, 2008

Kentucky

Mindy and I have lived in this state for nearly 4 years now, and the cultural differences between here and the state within eyesight to the north will never cease to amaze us. I could list example after example, but that’s not the point of this post.

I just want to mention a 30-second spot that’s been running on our local cable channels for the past few months sponsored/produced by the state of Kentucky. It‘s done in black-and-white and features quick dialogue-less scenes of diverse people looking happy while a forgettable song plays in the background. Toward the end of the commercial, these words are heard via voice-over: "if you're pregnant, don't drink or smoke, take your vitamins and see a doctor."

I wonder if any other states are running this kind of ad, or if this is unique to my current state of residence. I’ll try to find this on the web to share, but as of this posting, it’s not on YouTube.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have not seen an ad like this in IL.

Anonymous said...

Haven't seen anything like this in NE OH--but you're right, it is different down there--noticed it in my recent visits!
Mom

Tamara Schwarting said...

Dave - I'm disappointed. No tags in your blog entry. You could have tagged Kentucky to the official State website :)

Dave said...

Tamara, I'll interpret your disappointment as constructive criticism and take it under advisement. At this point I fail to see the value of tags, but that's probably more a function of my blogosphere naiveté rather than an indictment of tags.