Saturday, July 19, 2008

Pirates

Proof that the state of Kentucky has at least 2 Pittsburgh Pirate fans:



Of course if Edwin wants to tread the ethically ambiguous line (like his father has the past decade or so) by cheering for the Reds at the same time, that's really not a problem. You don't run into too many moral dilemmas when your 2 favorite teams are locked in an incessant battle for last place. Now, as far his favorite NFL franchise is concerned, well...

Posing for this Pirate-themed photo got me thinking about the idea of having a pirate for a sports team nickname. Variations of the pirate concept is used for countless pro, college and high school sports teams. Weren't pirates pretty terrible people? In fact just yesterday when I was reading to Edwin from The Economist magazine (yes, I read to Edwin on various subjects-finance, economics, politics-because Mindy thinks talking to him helps him learn...since I have no idea what to say to a month old baby, I might as well get some reading done and talk to my son at the same time), I learned that modern day pirates are currently wreaking havoc in the Indian Ocean. Wouldn't this be like having "the terrorists" as common mascots 150 years from now?

Update from today's earlier post: I broke down and dropped the 9 bucks on 6'er of Oberon...well worth it. Offer still stands on the 3 remaining fruity beers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interest observation about your pirate mascot. it reminds me of my team's mascot - the Indians (also Seminoles, Braves, etc.).

It's like our society says - ya, I know we killed you off and stole your land and make you live on reservations with no work - but at least we'll name our sports teams after you!!

Something doesn't seem right about that.