Friday, June 26, 2009

Cholesterol Journey

WARNING: LONG POST...Only read if you're interested...

On May 8th, I went to the doctor for a physical and general health checkup. I was feeling really good about myself because I had went from 272lbs at my highest pregnant weight to 203lbs on the dr. scale (which by the way, I hate the old time scales...they always seem so wrong compared to my home digital scale). They did a simple blood draw and told me my cholesterol results would be in a few days later.

The next day the nurse called with the bad news. "You have high cholesterol - seriously high! You need to schedule a doctor appointment right away."

Weight: 203
Total Cholesterol: 252 (shoud be lower than 200)
LDL: 169 (should be between 0-130)
Tri: 160 (should be between 0-150)
HDL: 51 (should be between 40-60)

So, all of my hard weight loss work wasn't working in terms of getting healthy...and I scheduled my doctor follow up for the next week. He basically said I was in a very high risk zone and that I needed to make immediate changes. I agreed and told him that I would try anything to stay off of meds. So my one-month-do-anything-I-can-to-lower-my-cholesterol began.

For the past month, I have been really working hard to change my lifestyle, yet again. I'm still doing Weight Watchers...but now I only eat things that will work to lower my cholesterol. No more snack packs, no more artificial sweetners, no caffeine, no more candy/sweets, no more fast food, no more fun cereal, etc. Most days I eat the following:

Breakfast:
1/2 cup oatmeal with fresh berries (no sugar/sweetner/brown sugar/etc.)
4 oz cranberry juice

Snack:
1/4 cup almonds
Water

Lunch:
PB&J (reduced fat PB and reduced sugar J) on 1 slice whole grain bread
Water

Snack:
Fruit/Granola/Celery/etc
Water

Dinner:
3 nights chicken (3oz) and veggies
1 night fish (3oz) and veggies
3 night veggies w. pasta
Beer

Snack:
Fruit

Surprised by the beer? I certainly was. My doctor recommended that I drink one alcoholic beverage per day. Studies have shown that this can help reduce cholesterol numbers.

I was also told to increase aerobic activity. So, we joined the gym and I've been taking classes as much as I can. I really like all of them that I've tried including: Zumba, Water Aerobics, Pilates/Yoga, and Spinning.

I was also told to take 4 Fish Oil supplements per day.

Now for the results...this week I had my one-month follow up with the doctor. He told me that he was hoping my cholesterol would be down to below 240...and...drumroll please!!!!!!

Weight: 187 DOWN 16lbs
Total Cholesterol: 204 (shoud be lower than 200) DOWN 48 points
LDL: 124 (should be between 0-130) DOWN 45 points
Tri: 132 (should be between 0-150) DOWN 28 points
HDL: 54 (should be between 40-60) UP 3 point

So...no medicine for me...I can't believe how great this news is. I need to keep up this new lifestyle and continue to bring my numbers down. It isn't easy - but I'm worth it! and my family is worth it! So, there it is...what I'm doing. I have to give credit to Weight Watchers for helping me with eating and holding me accountable. I also have to give credit to my doctor for scaring me into this newer lifestyle. I also have to give credit to my friends/family who have been so supportive of the new me! Most of all, I need to give credit to Dave - without his constant love and help, there's no way this would be possible. I am so blessed.

5 comments:

Jennifer Battaglia said...

You are amazing Mindy....GREAT JOB!!!!!

Dave said...

You're the meaning in my life
You're the inspiration
You bring feeling to my life
You're the inspiration
Wanna have you near me
I wanna have you hear me sayin'
No one needs you more than I need you

OK, that was just lyrics from a Chicago song, but I still mean it. BTW- thx for the shout-out!

Taleen said...

Mindy...I am impressed and proud of you! I don't know how you are surviving on the small amount of food that you are eating...I need your strength! I am also doing ww and it is a very slow go this time around. I totally agree...you can lose weight and still not be eating healthy...I am guilty of eating too many 100 calorie snacks! I started taking meds about a year ago for my cholesterol...so far so good. I'm off to zumba!

Mary Lou said...

Add me to the list of people who think you are amazing--Congratulations, Mindy--keep it up!

Anita said...

you look AWESOME and you have worked so hard. GREAT job! i started tearing up when i was reading dave's comment...then i realized it was a song. still very sweet!