Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Edwin Birth Story: Part 3

Being that the day was sort of a blur for her, Mindy asked me to write down my recollections of June 12, 2008, the day Edwin was born. It took me a while to get to it, but I finally finished it as a present for her 30th birthday. In honor of Edwin's 1st birthday this Friday, we have decided to put a serialized version here on the blog. See part 1 here and part 2 here.

R-O-S-S

Wow, good thing we live close to the hospital. I can’t believe people drive thirty-plus minutes from the ‘burbs to Clifton. We’ve only got the five-minute drive from Newport to St. Luke’s. (Although five minutes in Mindy’s and my timekeeping system could mean anything from two to fourteen minutes.) I longingly look out the window as we pass Starbucks, not even realizing that this baby will signify the beginning of the end of the $4.20 lattes. Probably should’ve stopped.

We find a decently close parking spot, and Mindy decides she’ll be OK to make it from the car to the entrance. Never thought her refuse-to-be-dropped-off-would-rather-walk-in-with-me policy would apply to Walgreens, Target, and the hospital at which she’s about to deliver her first child. Granted, this isn’t University Hospital in Clifton (where I’ve gotten lost before). This is St. Luke’s Fort Thomas, small even for Northern Kentucky standards, so we only have a football field length walk.

So ten minutes later we reach the entrance. Should I be more presentable on what may the biggest day of our young married lives? T-shirt/jeans/Birkenstocks carrying random backpacks and grocery bags (scrapbook page remains safely behind in the car)…I feel more like I’m moving into the dorms. Maybe I should be worrying about my wife and baby than how I’m dressed.

Walk right past the front desk toward registration. Receive no questions as its plain to see what we’re there for. OK, Mindy pre-registered, right? This’ll take no time, then we’ll be up meeting with the doctor. Why are we answering the same questions we already have ad nauseum for the last seven months? “R-O-S-S.” “L-I-N-D-E-N Avenue.” “Fifth Third.” “Insurance is through her work.” “F-R-E Resources.” “Physicians for Women.” “Fuh-zih-shuns for Wih-min.” “Yes, the one in this building.” I’m now fairly certain had Mindy not pre-registered, she would have delivered right there in registration.


No comments: