Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Edwin Birth Story: Part 2

Being that the day was sort of a blur for her, Mindy asked me to write down my recollections of June 12, 2008, the day Edwin was born. It took me a while to get to it, but I finally finished it as a present for her 30th birthday. In honor of Edwin's 1st birthday this Friday, we have decided to put a serialized version here on the blog. See Part 1 here.


Please Hurry

This is the moment we’ve been waiting for. Time to spring into action. What’s it, like seven-thirty? Notification to our offices will be necessary. Mindy makes one call. How many bosses do I have? I decide on three and send text messages. OK, Mindy’s had our bags pretty much packed for weeks now. Just throw in whatever clothes I’ll need and a few other last minute items and we’ll be out the door in ten minutes, right?

Wrong. Mindy keeps adding things. And she keeps giving me things around the house to locate. She’s moving pretty slowly, and every so often she stops in her tracks, puts her hand against a wall, and fights to keep standing while catching her breath. Contractions. Jesus. Wait, Where’s my watch shouldn’t I be timing these?

OK, got the watch. Just tell me what to get, Mindy, you have to pause every four minutes, and at that rate we’ll never make it out of here. Four minutes!?! Contractions don’t happen in real life. They happen on The Cosby Show. Shouldn’t watching a lifetime’s worth of syndicated reruns while eating my dinner on the couch have prepared me to be a little calmer right about now? Instead I’m now frantically scurrying around the house in the exact manner predicted by every sitcom I’ve ever seen. But now it’s real—I’m in my House with my Wife timing her Contractions because she’s having our Baby.

Back to the task at hand. Mindy, I’m pretty sure four minutes means delivery is imminent, please hurry. That’s everything now, right? A scrap book page from the basement? Mindy should know better than to count on me to find something in her scrapbook area—wait, got it. OK, now that’s everything. What am I going to pack these pillows in?

The Escape’s packed liked we going away for the weekend. I guess we won’t be back for a few days though, so it makes sense. Good thing Mindy talked me into buying the family truckster a few months back…couldn’t imagine doing this in the Lumina. Across the street neighbor sees us and figures out what’s going on. “Is it time?” “Yeah.” “Good luck.” “Thanks.” OK, we’re off to St. Luke’s.


1 comment:

Tim Metzner said...

On the edge of my seat waiting for part 3...