Monday, January 19, 2009

Priorities

Darn. I should've grabbed 2 quarters from the center console.

That's what I was thinking walking out of the sandwich place this evening. My order cost $9.49, and I was wishing I had had that 50 cents because I have this weird thing (probably inherited from my dad) where I feel like I'm not spending money that I find in the form of coins in my pocket, ash tray, desk, etc. (I think my dad's thing went a little further though...I swear nothing excited him more than handing a store clerk 3 quarters, a dime, a nickel and 3 pennies to make exact change.)

It's precisely at this point when I start thinking about the priorities I've chosen for my life. Well, not just me, but both Mindy and me...we've chosen these priorities.

I mean, 50 cents? C'mon.

The reason our order was only $9.49 was because we opted to split a giant to save money compared to getting 1 regular and 1 mini. And we didn't just split it...we got it without cheese or mustard so we could save 1/4 of it for Mindy's lunch tomorrow. It keeps better in the fridge without mustard and cheese, and besides, we could use our own.

Taking a step back, the only reason we were even getting takeout in the first place (on this last day of my 3-day weekend) was because we'd been working around the house all day and done so good on spending this weekend ($34 under weekend budget...don't even ask how small said budget was to begin with) that we figured we were due for a treat.

Mindy and Dave circa 2007 would probably have been thinking "weekend budget...come again?" Sure we'd make a budget. Then our weekend would roughly consist of Friday happy hour then causal dinner out, Saturday takeout for lunch then dinner/drinks at "someplace nice", Sunday brunch and takeout for dinner. We'd probably discuss watching expenses a little more closely while in our car on the drive to our offices on Monday morning.

Well now that drive is to an office not offices. And that drive is more accurately described as a ride...on a bus not in a car. But this all for a valid reason: that little guy sleeping in the room next to ours.

Back to those priorities I referenced...it's amazing how someone without the ability to speak has the innate ability to so clearly articulate what your priorities should be. I'm not even sure what they all are, but for now, I know spending money on dining out is not one of them.

No comments: